[Dcpr] Session on Automated Decision Making: ADR and AI

LB at lucabelli.net LB at lucabelli.net
Tue Oct 30 16:04:55 EDT 2018

 Dear all,
 As the IGF is approaching, I just wanted to share the updated agenda and remind you not to forget IGF registration https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2018-registration
 Here is the link to the DCPR session https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/automated-decision-making-and-artificial-intelligence-dcpr
 The IGF Secretariat has requested we identify 3 messages before the session. It is a quite curious request, as we cannot identify “messages” before having a debate. Although, this is likely to be a mere UN formality (and probably no one is even going to read the content of the “messages”), I suggest we propose something based on the session workshop description.
 Our proposal is to utilise the following 3 “messages”:

+ Further research and DCPR activities should be dedicated to the discussion of how automated decision making can be designed and implemented by digital platforms.
+ Both the more “classic” Alternative Dispute Resolution mechanisms and the more unorthodox Artificial Intelligence-based solutions, such as the recent proposal of AI-based proactive detection and removal of abusive content should be carefully considered for their potential benefits and risks.
+ A good opportunity to engage in the automated decision making debate is to provide comments on the 2018 outcome of the DCPR: the Best Practices on Due Process Safeguards regarding Online Platforms' Implementation of the Right to an Effective Remedy, until 30 November https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/dcpr-best-practices-on-...

  Please feel free to share any comments
 All the best
 Luca & Nicolo

Luca Belli, PhD
Professor of Internet Governance and Regulation, FGV Rio de Janeiro Law School
Chercheur Associé, Centre de Droit Public Comparé, Université Paris 2

www.internet-governance.fgv.br
@1lucabelli

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message, as well as any attached document, may contain information that is confidential and privileged and is intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of this email or attached documents, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email by mistake.