[Dcpr] ISP's liability and Freedom of Expression in the Digital Single Market

Giovanni De Gregorio g.degregorio at campus.unimib.it
Sun Nov 4 04:35:56 EST 2018

Dear all,

as you know, we are likely approaching a new season of ISP liability in the
European Digital Single Market.

Therefore, I would like to inform you about the following publication
relating to freedom of expression and ISP liability in the European legal
framework.

Here, the reference:

Giovanni De Gregorio, 'Expressions on Platforms. Freedom of Expression and
ISP liability in the Digital Single Market' (2018) 2(3) European
Competition and Regulatory Law Review 203.

Abstract

Freedom of expression online and Internet Service Providers are closely
connected. Consequently, when dealing with the regulation of their
liability, it is necessary that public actors take deeply into
consideration how the ISP’s liability regime affects fundamental rights.
Recently, in the framework of the European Digital Single Market Strategy,
the EU Commission have issued two proposals which would impact on the ISP’s
system of liability in Europe and, as a result, on freedom of expression.
Hence, it is necessary to analyse the potential drawbacks, providing, from
a comparative perspective, alternative solutions which comply with the EU
constitutional framework.

If you have any comments, I am happy to discuss with you.

Hope to see you soon in Paris.

Giovanni De Gregorio