[Cmacc] model Master Services Agreement

James Hazard james.g.hazard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 19:59:37 EST 2014

Hello to all,

As we have discussed, a Master Services Agreement is a kind of
bilateral, privately negotiated "law of commercial relations".  A model
MSA could rapidly become a shared codification of law, its provisions a
source of text for agreements generally.  When translated into other
jurisdictions and languages, it would form a interoperating global legal
system that dovetails with specific uses such as Materials Transfer
Agreements.

Primavera's parser allows us to demonstrate that the document fits into
a comprehensive record of persons, places, properties and transactions.
The Mediawiki version (at response.commonaccord.org) leverages the
familiarity of Wikipedia and is ready for collaboration without an
install or technical expertise.  The CommonAccord data model is agnostic
as to the implementations, so ...

I posted a pretty good MSA on both Primavera's and the wiki version.  At
similar URLs.  The text is exactly the same.  It was copy/pasted from
one to the other with only a change to replace the codes for smart
quotes because there is some piece of Mediawiki that I haven't got
working.  (I could use some help with that and with page caching on the
Mediawiki site.)

I suggest that if we invite lawyer friends to work on this document, we
can begin to codify the law of commercial relations.  Work on particular
provisions can provide materials to clarify and accelerate business
negotiations about those issues.  I think particularly about the
personal data provisions because of their impact on data fluidity among
telco operators and others in the Ebola chain.

As we work on a provision, it will be convenient to copy the relevant
part to a new page in the wiki and iterate there.  These separate pages
can be integrated back into the document using inheritance.  In the
wiki, I set up a suggested taxonomy and organized the clauses as an
outline.  As we get deeper into the subject matter, this outline will
get deeper.  There is of course no limit to how deep it can go or how
many variations can be managed.

The links are at:

http://www.commonaccord.org/index.php?action=list&file=01/Agt/Type/MSA/
and
http://response.commonaccord.org/01/Agt/Type/MSA/

We had an adventure today in defeating a hacker.  The fix included
cleaner URLs and Primavera says she can shorten the URLs a bit further.

These provisions are also compatible with browser-based (client-side)
rendering, which could use either of these URLs as source or the
fully-versioned repository at github.com/commonaccord/.

Jim