[ASLO] [PUBLIC] Kandid-6

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon May 31 07:55:23 EDT 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 05:34:05PM +0200, Behavior Vehikel wrote:
> Hi Aleksey,
>
> Some questions about using Glade.
>
> I used Glade to build the GUI for Kandid.
> Kanid runs on SoaS Bluberry and SoaS Mirabelle, without installing any
> additionally package.

Yes, glade could be installed in most cases. But it is not part of
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.88/Platform_Components and there is no
guaranty that Glade will exists on sugar box.

> Is it an error to use Glade for Sugar activities?

It could be treated as an error if you are targeting your activity
Sugar Platform (SP) compatible. For now, all public activities should be
conform Sugar Platform. But, real practice shows that SP is not
sufficiently perfect in the field (when we have not only one Sugar
distribution - OLPC, and not only one last Sugar, and Sugar Platform,
release).

I'm planing to change it. For example newly uploaded activity could be
just "activity" (w/o "Experimental" tag). ASLO could have several QA
profiles (e.g. per distribution, OLPC etc) and reviewers will QA new
uploads only for particular profile (for now, since there are bunch of
sugar envs, it is pretty hard to have activities that work ok in all
cases). I'm going to post an announce email soon about changes that
could be done on ASLO.

> What alternative?

Other activities construct UI in the code. Of course in case of
complicated UI it is not useful. The problem is, even if Glade will
become SP component, it will be only SP-0.90 component and most of sugar
envs will not satisfy it (see, current OLPC release is 0.82, next stable
will be 0.84).

> Kandid is based on Cairo, hulahop, Glade and dbus.

All of these dependencies (except glade) are components (explicit or
implicit) of SP.

> Kind regards
> Thomas Jourdan
>

> 2010/5/30, Sugar Labs Activities <activities at sugarlabs.org>:
> > Activity Kandid-6 have been made public by a Sugar Labs Activities editor.
> >
> > Review Information:
> > Reviewer: Aleksey Lim
> > Comments: I missed that Kandid uses glade (but glade is not part of Sugar
> > Platform) and made public several Kandid versions. I've made this version
> > public since the whole experimental-public workflow will be
> > rethinking/redesigned soon.
> >
> > If you have questions about this review, please answer to this e-mail or
> > join #sugar on chat.freenode.net.
> >
> > Sugar Labs Activities
> > http://activities.sugarlabs.org
> >

> --