[Systems] What happened to the mirror? (Was [Systems-logs] Cron <root at sunjammer> test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly ))

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Mar 10 21:28:00 EST 2016

I was thinking: we've been running without Mirrorbrain for several weeks
and nothing bad happened. Clearly, we have enough bandwidth to manage
all downloads from sunjammer.

There may be benefits in offloading downloads to locations closer to the
user, but mirror redirection was a pretty complex and fragile system
which should justify itself.

Samuel, could you please download the same large file from
download.sugarlabs.org and from each of the mirrors to see if there is a
substantial benefit?

I suspect that, for large files, the reduced latency won't matter... and
for small files, the extra HTTP redirect from sunjammer to the mirror
may even make things a bit *worse* :-)

 \X/  http://codewiz.org