[Systems] Docker backups

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Fri Oct 24 17:58:38 EDT 2014

On 23/10/14 23:28, Munin wrote:
> sugarlabs.org :: justice.sugarlabs.org :: Disk usage in percent
> 	WARNINGs: /backup is 93.37 (outside range [:92]).
> 	OKs: / is 61.40, /run/shm is 0.00, /run is 0.08, /dev is 0.00, /sys/fs/cgroup is 0.00, /run/lock is 0.00.

Sam, yesterday dogi and I figured out that /backup on justice was full
due to the docker backups from freedom taking up unreasonable amounts of
disk.

We "fixed" it by excluding /var/tmp and /var/lib/docker from the backup,
but this is clearly not what we want.

Besides, a simple 'du -sx /var/lib/docker/*' takes forever to complete
due to... not sure what. Maybe btrfs or aufs being incredibly slow?

Could you explain the directory structure on freedom, and what should be
backed up? The goals are:

 - Not loosing any user-generated data
 - Quick reconstruction of the images in case of disaster recovery

Our support for Docker needs to mature before we can start moving
services to it. Working backups are (of course) a blocker, but we also
need to think about monitoring and management. Would you have time to
chat about it this Saturday? I'll be doing some infrastructure work from
the west coast (PDT).

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team