[Systems] Migration to SN testing node urgent

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Wed Oct 15 12:34:01 EDT 2014

Alsroot,
Greetings,
We're observing downtime about twice a day now in production instance
of Sugar Network central node.

Every time I have to log into jita and issue:

 sudo /etc/init.d/sugar-network stop
 ps -o pid,comm,user,thcount -u www-data | wc -l
 # ^^ is useful to give an idea of traffic
 # goes down to ~12 when all SN threads die after a few seconds
 sudo /etc/init.d/sugar-network start

It's probably all the traffic, but also it seems to have gotten worse
after the downtime jita had some time ago.

It's stressful for editors/admins and annoying for users.

As I understand it, new node implementation does not have this problem.

I can do the migration myself, if you provide me with some details:

* procedure for migrating database
* current release tarballs/sources for putting in production

I think it's even better if I do it, then I will have a better sense of
how the clockwork ticks. I'll attempt to document as I go. Maybe we can
setup some uptime monitoring this time around (cc: systems@ for this
purpose).

It would be helpful to coincide when you are online on this task. For
me a good time would be starting Friday 17th at 21:00 (UTC -5 / Bogota)
- but I'm open to accomodate to your timezone/schedule/convenience.
This way we can test over the weekend and have a working service by
Monday 20th.

Let me know so we can announce the planned maintenance downtime.

We've gotten this far and have engaged some active users. I think there
is a bright future for Sugar Network. We just need to keep rowing.
Thanks for your commitment.

--
Sebastian Silva
"icarito" #sugar #somosazucar (freenode IRC)

"Las maestras y los maestros democráticos intervenimos en el mundo a
través del cultivo de la curiosidad" - P.Freire