[Systems] Local Labs portals on wiki.sugarlabs.org front page.

Frederick Grose fgrose at sugarlabs.org
Sat May 29 11:40:41 EDT 2010

This version of our wiki front page,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Welcome_to_the_Sugar_Labs_wiki&oldid=52590,
shows the Iframe widgets for the Local Lab widgets we have quietly tested,
off and on, since 10 April 2010.

Now, please see these comments from the corresponding Talk:page: below, (
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Talk:Welcome_to_the_Sugar_Labs_wiki&action=edit#Local_team_portals
):

==Local team portals==

On a slow connection, these load very slowly, leaving big empty boxes one
has to scroll past to get to the Community New section. Perhaps the portals
should moved down in the page? --[[User:Walter|Walter]] 09:34, 28 May 2010
(EDT)
: Removed for the reason you offered and lack of positive reception.
 --[[User:FGrose|FGrose]] 19:30, 28 May 2010 (EDT)
:: I actually liked the idea very much, but maybe we could set something up
where we cache smaller images that are periodically updated?
--[[User:Walter|Walter]] 23:31, 28 May 2010 (EDT)
:::Yes, I was afraid that even having them at the bottom of the page would
be distracting in the lower-bandwidth case. I also think that, for lack of
an announcement to the Local Labs wiki coordinators, they may not have
realized that their front page was now on the this front page. I'll copy
this section to Bernie and the systems team and, perhaps you can help us
identify and forward it to the other wiki coordinators, and then restore the
appropriate features as recommended by a fuller collaboration.
 --[[User:FGrose|FGrose]] 11:20, 29 May 2010 (EDT)

Thank you for any thoughts, discussion, and collaboration.
 --Fred