[Systems] Server proposals

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Feb 28 13:44:52 EST 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 12:34 -0500, Chris Ball wrote:
>    > We're looking for a 1U or 2U rack-mountable machine with fast
>    > processors, at least 8GB of RAM and at least 1TB of fast storage
>    > on RAID1 and simple remote management (reboot, access to text
>    > console).  I couldn't find anything with redundant PSU in our
>    > price range.
>
> Dilinger recommends http://www.serversdirect.com/ , I think he just
> bought another machine from them.  Here's a machine that you can get
> 12G RAM/1T disk*2 on for $1668 (using their own RAM/disk, rather than
> from newegg, so maybe can save more if you use newegg for those):
>
> http://www.serversdirect.com/config.asp?config_id=SDR-S2001-T06
>
> If you need redundant PSUs, I think it goes up to $2150:
>
> http://www.serversdirect.com/config.asp?config_id=SDR-S2002-T12

The price is very attractive, but it's the same Supermicro junk I've
been using for the past 5 years in Italy and recently at the FSF.

As I wrote in my initial post, I've experienced too many reliability
quirks to trust this kind of hardware for anything important, especially
if we're not going to have easy physical access.

> Not sure about remote management, it says it has IPMI.
>
>    >  HP 500W Non-Hot Plug Power Supply
>
> Are you sure these machines have redundant PSUs?

No, they don't. I said I couldn't find anything with redundant fans in
my initial post :-(

On the positive side, I could select a cheaper HBA to shave another $100
from the DL160se:

 http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/smartarrayp212/index.html

With just 2GB of DDR3, it would cost $1519.