[Systems] [support.osuosl.org #10739] git.sugarlabs.org: Gitorious upgrade

Lance Albertson via RT support at osuosl.org
Mon Feb 22 13:27:09 EST 2010

On Thu Jan 14 22:47:35 2010, bernie at codewiz.org wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 22:50 +0000, Lance Albertson via RT wrote:
> > On Fri Jan 08 08:31:21 2010, bernie at codewiz.org wrote:
> > > We'd like to upgrade to the latest version of Gitorious, which
> > > alos requires a newer version of Rails.
> >
> > What other requirements does it need?
>
> A bunch of Ruby modules, all of which should be installable with gem.
>

> > > To reduce downtime, we may proceed by installing the updated rails
> > > packages in the home of user gitorious-dev and perform most of the
> > > work there.
> >
> > Just for testing? Thats ok with me.
>
> Thanks. I'd just need some help getting started because I couldn't
> figure out how to get our version of gem to install packages in the
> user's home directory.
>

> > > I'm available to assist with this work every day, until Jan 12.
> >
> > We're pretty busy this week and next so I'll have to schedule a time
> > to do this. I'd like to also switch your VM to using Ruby Enterprise
> > with mod_rails instead of what we're currently doing. That will
> > align with other rails setups we currently have.
> >
> > Let me get back to you once we have a chance to work on this.
>
> I'm currently traveling to Paraguay. Not sure when I'll be online
> again.  Meanwhile, if you happen to have time to work on this, you
> could coordinate with Luke Faraone (lfaraone on #sugar, and also on
> cc).

Just letting you know that I haven't forgotten about this ticket. I've
been very busy working on a larger project and haven't had a chance to
look into this. Unfortunately I don't have many students that are
familiar with Rails to help with this but I may need to teach someone
real quick. What kind of a deadline would you like to have to get this
done? I think you should be able to at least get this tested on the dev
side in the meantime.

Thanks-

--
Lance Albertson