[Systems] New sysadmin

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Aug 18 13:17:30 EDT 2010

El Tue, 17-08-2010 a las 21:13 -0400, Raul Gutierrez Segales escribió:

> Lets start by upgrading Gitorious. I see its hosted in
> sugarlabs.osuosl.org, do we have access to that server?

Yes, but we don't have root, the machine is managed (very well) by the
OSU-OSL. We don't actually need root to upgrade Gitorious, but it makes
me somewhat nervous not to be omnipotent.

The development environment of our Gitorious is visible as
http://git-devel.sugarlabs.org . I have already attempted an upgrade a
couple of months ago. The tricky part was rebasing our changes on top of
the upstream Gitorious. The result of this work is still visible in the
git history.

IIRC, the next problem I faces is that migration of the database to the
new schema failed somewhere in the middle. Not knowing much about the
intricacies of rails, I got stuck there.

We could keep working in this environment, or create one anew in one of
our machines. Gitorious is big enough to deserve its own separate VM,
but it could also work on sunjammer.

Whether to use the current machine, sunjammer or an entirely new machine
is your choice. I believe in giving autonomy to whoever gets the job
done. If it were on me, I would first attempt to upgrade on the OSU-OSL
machine and move elsewhere only if there are unsolvable difficulties
with the rails environment provided by the host. Once the upgrade is
complete, migrating the service elsewhere is going to be the easiest
part.

> Why do you mean by maintaining this web app? Is there some sort of
> documentation on the usual maintenance tasks?

There's some documentation:

 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Machine/gitorious

But everything is going to change after we upgrade. The new Gitorious
has improved enormously and provides a nice admin interface which will
hopefully let us throw away all our home-brew SQL recipes.