[Systems] New sysadmin

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Aug 17 13:50:02 EDT 2010

Dear sysadmins,

Raul "rgs" Segales, my former boss at Paraguay Educa, is a first-class
hacker and sysadmin. He offered to help us manage some of SL's
infrastructure. While I'm still traveling, feel free to give him access
to any part of our infrastructure that he might be interested in working
on.

Reviewing sysadmin task list I compiled a few months ago:

>  * upgrade/maintain git.sugarlabs.org (hard)

This would be a perfect fit for Raul, it's a rails application. Sascha
and Luke Faraone know a lot about it, but I'm the only one who knows all
details.

>  * upgrade trac to 0.12 (silbe may do this, not sure)
>  * wiki (sysadmin only, does not take much time)
>  * shell accounts setup and support (not much work)

These would also be good tasks for Raul

>  * planet.sugarlabs.org needs a new skin

Luke is taking care of this very nicely, but we also need to setup
planet.py.sugarlabs.org for the teachers of Caacupé. Raul might be a
good fit for this task :-)

>  * mailing lists (including moving them away from solarsail)

This is a delicate task, requiring coordination with me. Raul might
help.

>  * aslo (some php development needed)

Alsroot is the man, but he might want some help. Rebasing our changes
onto the new upstream release (which is django based) would be a very
ambitious project.

>  * New F-13 VM for the build farm
>  * New F-13 VM for a blog aggregator maintained by sdz

Steven took care of these

>  * New Lucid template VM
>  * New Lucid VM for Jabber

I've done these, although nobody has setup the Jabber server yet. Rober
"Robot101" McQueen recommends switching to a new server implementation
written in Lua. Tomeu can provide more details.

Rather than just a Jabber server, we may want to provide a full
schoolserver. However, there are security concerns on providing
registration and backups to unidentified clients over the Internet.