[Systems] Sunjammer password expired

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Aug 27 23:22:13 EDT 2009

On 28 Aug 2009, at 02:08, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

> El Thu, 27-08-2009 a las 19:20 +0100, Gary C Martin escribió:
>> Sorry if I'm being a dumb end user here, but Sunjammer is telling me
>> my password has expired, and that I need to change it. It's asking:
>>
>> 	"You must change your password now and login again! Enter
>> login(LDAP)
>> password".
>>
>> Perhaps I was drinking too much the night I got my account ;-) but my
>> understanding is that Sunjammer authentication, for us mortals, is
>> all
>> done through public/private keys for security. I have no LDAP
>> password
>> to give (or any other password Sunjammer should be asking for. Any
>> hints?
>
> You got your account before we started sending out the following
> welcome
> messages to new users:

Phew, not a total moron then :-)

> -----cut-----
> Dear $CN $SN,
>
> Your account has been created.  You can login on shell.$DOMAIN
> as user "$USERNAME" using your ssh key(s).  Please, be
> considerate about security: always keep your private keys password
> protected and use non-guessable passwords.
>
> Your *temporary* p4ssw0rd is "$PASSWORD", for use with protocols
> requiring authentication such as HTTP and IMAP.  You should change
> it as soon as possible using this web form:
>
>  https://shell.$DOMAIN/passwd
>
> This message should be delivered to you in two copies: once directly,
> and once through your forwarding email address $USERNAME@$DOMAIN .
> Please, let me know if you don't receive the latter.  You can change
> your forwarding address at any time by editing ~/$forward_file.
>
> You can use this account for any (legal) purpose as long as you don't
> abuse shared resources.  Please check with the system administrators
> before setting up daemons and cron jobs.  Anything you put in
> ~/public_html will be served on
>
>  http://people.$DOMAIN/~$USERNAME/
>
> Happy hacking!
>
>  -- your friendly BOFH
> -----cut-----

LOL, I did get 2 Sugar Labs BOFH emails at "10 days" and "9 days" then
nothing. Neither of which had the above temporary p4ssw0rd content,
both of which asked for me my non-existand "web password via the
following:

	"Your password for Sugar Labs web services is expiring please change
it here:"
	https://secure.sugarlabs.org/passwd

BOFH in name and nature, I bow to such serene pleb filtering logic ;-b

> I understand that the 180 day password expiration policy can be quite
> annoying, but it's a good security practice and helps us detect idle
> accounts that could be closed.
>
> BTW, didn't you get a warning email every day for the past 14 days?

Just double checked my junk email, nope, nada. Which is why I really
like the public/private key system and avoidance of passwords :-)

>> P.S. Was just trying to upload the latest Physics-3.tar.bz2 release
>> for distros, nothing urgent.
>
> Cool!

Asaf and Brian did all the heavy lifting work, as per usual, I just
tried to polish for a bit :-)

Regards,
--G