[Sugar-devel] Unable to use shared clipboard in sugar live vm.

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun May 9 04:00:40 EDT 2021

It's not really something I do.  It is easier to set up an SSH server
and use an SSH client to copy any text from the system, using the
script(1) command, a shared screen(1), or log files.

I don't know what you did wrong, sorry.  Unless you've kept detailed
notes, there's no way to guess.

However, you haven't shown that you have installed the VirtualBox
X11 guest utilities package on the Debian Sugar Live Build VM.

Sugar Live Build does not have VirtualBox packages preloaded.

You could install the Sugar Live Build to a virtual disk, then
install the Debian package virtualbox-guest-x11, then restart Sugar.

Or, you could install the Debian package
virtualbox-guest-additions-iso build-essential dkms and your kernel
headers, and then build the kernel module provided on the ISO.

Your question is about VirtualBox and Linux in general, not Sugar.
The article below shows some of the complexity of what you are asking
about.
https://superuser.com/questions/1318231/why-doesnt-clipboard-sharing-work-with-ubuntu-18-04-lts-inside-virtualbox-5-1-2

Hope that helps.

On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 10:32:42AM +0530, Shivam Rai wrote:
> I have installed virtualbox extension pack on virtual box and i confirmed it on
> my vm by checking it in extensions option.
> Is there anything I am supposed to do?
> Or I did something wrong while setting the vm?
>
> On Tue, May 4, 2021, 3:06 PM James Cameron <[1]quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>     I agree.
>
>     On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 12:19:42PM +0300, [2]srevinsaju at sugarlabs.org
>     wrote:
>     > Its likely that you haven't installed Virtual Box Extension pack on the
>     Debian
>     > Sugar Live Build.
>     >
>     >
>     > On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 11:51:30 AM +03 Shivam Rai wrote:
>     > > Even after enabling bidirectional clipboard it doesnt work in
>     > > sugarlivebuild vm.
>     > > Have tried some change in settings but it didnt work.
>     > > Although with the same settings there is no copy paste issue in other
>     vm's
>     > > i am using.
>     > > I think its something from my side.
>     > > What can be done to sort this out?