[Sugar-devel] Porting sugar codebase to python3

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sat Mar 13 15:30:35 EST 2021

Thanks for your interest.

You've probably not understood the scale and scope of the problem.

You should use Sugar, and use the peer to peer activity collaboration
feature.  You can find some instructions for it at
https://help.sugarlabs.org/en/collaborating.html

Collaboration uses the Telepathy library, and has a few problems.  We
don't yet know if the problems are in Telepathy or in Sugar, or if
they are related to or not related to the recent port to Python 3.

By using Sugar, you will see for yourself some of the problems that
occur.

Specifically, static bindings are "import telepathy", but dynamic
bindings are "from gi.repository import TelepathyGLib".

Look at https://github.com/orgs/sugarlabs/projects and search in page
for Telepathy.

The problems may require work on Telepathy itself, rather than Sugar.

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 01:16:36AM +0530, ADITYA VATS wrote:
> Hello everyone at sugar !!
> Hope you all are doing well.
>
> I want to contribute to sugar on implementing porting to py3 along with porting
> telepathy bindings to telepathyglib bindings during GSoC21. I have studied the
> related sugar docs and references. However, I am still not much clear about the
> latter one, i.e. telepathy bindings.
>
> I want to try my hands on this idea, but I couldn't find any suitable issue for
> this. Could anyone please direct me towards any related issue where I can try
> this or to any implementation in code, just for starting out?
>
> Please do share any insights or advices you have regarding this.
>
> Thanks
>
> Aditya Vats

James Cameron
https://quozl.linux.org.au/