[Sugar-devel] How to modify the sugar?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sat Apr 17 23:30:06 EDT 2021

Ibiam has answered you, but I'll just add a bit of context.

Sugar is a "desktop environment", which means it is a graphical shell
program and a suite of other programs activated from that shell.  It
is run (using python module jarabe) as the first and only program of a
graphical login session, e.g. through Xsession.

Sugar uses GNU conventions for software package building and
installing.  We know this as "configure, make, make install".  The
method works on pretty much every major Linux distribution.

Each Linux distribution may follow different conventions for how
programs, or Python programs in particular, are installed.

Sugar Live Build is built from the Debian distribution, and so most
closely tracks how Debian developers install software.

However, it does not exactly match.

The domain specific knowledge needed is operating system software
distribution internals, and specific knowledge about how Python
programs are installed by distribution packages on a Debian system.

Once you know how a Python program is installed on a system for all
users of that system to use, you have the first step of many.

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 05:06:29PM +0530, Sourabha G wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>  How to test the modified source of sugar from within Sugar DE? I cloned the
> sugar repo but not sure how to test the modification.
>
> Thank you.

James Cameron
https://quozl.linux.org.au/