[Sugar-devel] GSoC'21 draft proposal for 'Improve and maintain 15 sugar activities'

Sourabha G sourabha.project at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 10:38:19 EDT 2021

Hi Jui,
thanks for the suggestions.
1. I'll definitely consider adding more explanation to the selected
activities ( I thought it would be more confusive. but if it adds more
clarity, I'll definitely add more description).
2. I thought it would be best to discuss with the candidate who's going to
work on 'port to python3' to take up those activities so that it will be
soon ready to release. In case if this doesn't line up, I'll consider doing
it within GSoC deadline if time permits or post GSoC.
3. Surely, I'll go through the open PRs and try to complete it unless it's
inevitable to make a new PR.
4. The feature addition for imageviewer activity to add editing tools would
need OpenCV ( crop and filters).
5. Glad you liked the timestamp feature :)
About the students testing the activities, I thought it would be off-topic
to mention more in the proposal. Since the pandemic, I felt many of my yoga
students weren't coping up with the academics. So I started teaching them
math and science in my free time. Allowing them to test the activities has
shown noticeable improvement in their interest towards learning. JAMath was
the first activity to be tested. I came up with the idea of adding basic
game design features after taking their feedback. There are many slight
changes that a game might need. We might not realize it until it's tested
in the user environment. For example, the 3rd level in JAMath is too fast
for an average kid to even attempt. Many couldn't notice the instruction in
Recall activity. Apart from this, most loved to play Turtlepond and
stick-hero. No one could get the iqacttivity right :P