[Sugar-devel] Some questions about Sugar and Sugar Live Build

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 18:07:32 EST 2020

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 9:04 AM Martin Guy <martinwguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>   I have a couple of questions about Sugar and SLB that I haven't
> managed to answer yet, so if anyone knows, that would be a boost for
> me.
>
> * What difference does it make if one selects a different age group
>   at the startup screen? Also, if it's "nothing" as it seems, where
>   would I look to change SLB to make it skip the color and age
>   selection screens?

The age parameter, if available, is used in some activities, e.g., the
bot in the Chat activity assumes the same age as the child. But it is
not widely used and wouldn't be missed.

The color can be overridden after the fact, so it is probably OK to
skip that too,

See https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/tree/master/src/jarabe/intro

> * With a Live system, how does one change the language and
>   keyboard layout? (One option for me is to produce a range of
>   language-specific ISOs, each configured during the build for
>   a different language/kdb pair)

Language selection is in the Control Panel.

See https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/tree/master/extensions/cpsection

There is also a keybaord section there, but I don't recall how it works.

> Thanks

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org