[Sugar-devel] Where to fetch activities from for a live build and how to auto-select many?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Nov 10 17:16:31 EST 2020

On Mon, Nov 09, 2020 at 11:58:08AM +0000, Martin Guy wrote:
> Thanks, that's all useful info.
>
> On 08/11/2020, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 07, 2020 at 09:58:39PM +0000, Martin Guy wrote:
> >>   For the Sugar Live Build Games or Everything, I'm curently fetching
> >> Activities from under github.com/sugarlabs
> >> Should I be fetching these from activities.sugarlabs.org?
> >
> > activities.sugarlabs.org is used to release activities that run on the
> > OLPC XO laptops, which run Fedora 18.
>
> Well, some of those I tried adding to a Debian x86 install worked
> fine, so the hardware and system are compatible, while others failed
> to start up (but I didn't investigate why, as I was choosing at
> random)

Sometimes the activity logs show why.  From experience the things that
tend to go wrong are;

- the activity was broken on release and nobody noticed,

- dependency on features of Python 2, GTK 2, or GStreamer that have
  since been removed,

- dependency on features of Fedora that have since been removed,

- dependency on features of the OLPC XO-1 laptop,

> >> Also, if i want to include, say all the Games in an image, or indeed,
> >> every activity on actiities.sl.o, how would I go about this?
> >
> > I don't think you'd want to.  It would take you too long to test
> > them.
>
> Right. I tend to forget that I'm dealing with old software.
>
> > What you're doing is curating a collection.  This is a valuable step.
>
> Well, I want something that works well, with good apps of high quality
> that work on as many machines as possible, and I want that as soon as
> possible.
> I won't be evaluating Activities myself (I am too ignorant for that,
> so will follow other people's wisdom) and will not be fixing them
> unless they are already esteemed and the fix is trivial.
> I already have a SLB 386 clone of the Trisquel Etiona Sugar Toast
> selection, so the only other thing I have in mind at this point is to
> look at the Sugarizer and Fedora Spin selections to make a kind of
> union of the three sets.

Yes, that seems a reasonable method to reduce effort.

You might build a list of activities on Fedora SoaS, OLPC OS, Sugar
Live Build, and Trisquel.

But omit Sugarizer from your choices.  It is a different ecosystem now.

> Thanks again

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/