[Sugar-devel] No electricity and very limited internet

Anindya Kundu anindyaak007 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 02:47:33 EDT 2020

I am situated in one of the areas badly affected by the super cyclone that
hit the eastern part of India last evening.

Even though I live in an urban area, there is significant damage around.
Several trees and electric lines have been uprooted, vehicles and roads are
affected; external features of many buildings, like glass windows and water
tanks, are damaged.

There was a big transformer explosion 3kms from where I live, and there's
been no electricity since 7pm last evening. It's the same in different
places of the city.

I'm not quite sure, but the electricity should be restored by today or
tomorrow. However, since it's quite common here to have broadband fibre
cables stretched through poles instead of underground, those may be damaged
too, and would take a longer time to get fixed: maybe further aggravated by
the COVID situation. Wireless reception is very poor too - barely loading
webpages, if at all.

Hence, I would unfortunately not be able to join the meetings until things
come in place. I'll try to continue text based communication from the
phone, once the network revives. However, the battery will die soon, and so
there's a lot of uncertainty until electricity is restored. I'll reach back
when things are normal, hopefully in a couple of days or two.

Thanks.

*- Anindya Kundu*