[Sugar-devel] Status of Python 3 port of Sugar Training Activity?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri May 1 23:41:23 EDT 2020

Sure.

High level summary: needs a maintainer, needs infrastructure.

The teacher training activity was written in early 2014 by Walter
Bender while he was working with OLPC Australia, now One Education.  I
was at a meeting in Sydney on 24th January when it was discussed, then
we went out to lunch together, and Walter and I took a walk down
George St.

The activity was maintained by Walter until November 2014.  There was
some additional work by a student from Uruguay in December 2016 as
part of GCI, and Walter made some changes to distinguish it from the
One Academy version.  It was forked to Sugar Labs midway through
this.  The forks have diverged.

As we have discussed before, we don't have a list of activities for
volunteers to work on, we just presume they will find something to do.

Recently one of our prospective GSoC student volunteers found the
activity in the Sugar Labs list of repositories and made a small
change as part of the ongoing deprecations in the Free Desktop or
GNOME project, and a port to Python 3.

During that review I was reminded the code used settings keys that are
not part of Sugar.  I think it relies on a fork of Sugar used by One
Education, and on a web service maintained by One Education.  There's
certainly https URLs built-in.

I've not run the activity myself or reviewed it in detail.

Matthew at One Education mentioned you were in contact with him
already, so you could ask him about it.  Perhaps the web service might
be available to you.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/