[Sugar-devel] Studying Online - The Conversation

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Mar 30 05:21:45 EDT 2020

Thanks Anindya,

We have debated real-time chat quite a bit.

At minimum we offer IRC, Internet Relay Chat.  However, unlike what
you may be used to it does not provide persistence or history unless
you set up a relay or server instance.  Channel #sugar on network
freenode.

Also, we tend not to have enough people interested in keeping IRC
alive with discussion.

Mail is best, and can be near real-time.

We also have a meeting logging robot on the #sugar-meeting channel.

Mentors may offer alternatives for specific projects, but if that
happens further segmentation of community will occur.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 02:32:30PM +0530, Anindya Kundu wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> Similar things have been implemented here in India as well. We too are having
> video conference classes on Zoom and other communication on Google Classroom.
>
> With respect to GSoC, I don't know it there is a norm of chats, but I think it
> could really help to have one on one chats between the students and mentors
> over mails in certain situations.
>
> Chat gives a more real-time feel and I think it can be useful if there needs to
> be a bidirectional conversation. Platforms like Slack and Telegram can be used.
>
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 11:20 am James Cameron, <[1]quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>     This article published by The Conversation is a useful summary for
>     Australian university students starting online learning under pandemic
>     physical distancing regulations.
>
>     [2]https://theconversation.com/
>     studying-a-uni-course-online-here-are-4-tips-to-get-yourself-tech-ready-134549
>
>     Some of the technologies, test methods and etiquette rules may be
>     useful for GSoC students.
>
>     It will be up to your mentors on a project to choose contact methods
>     and frequency of contact.
>
>     --
>     James Cameron
>     [3]http://quozl.netrek.org/