[Sugar-devel] Query regarding GSoC timeline

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Mar 22 15:35:28 EDT 2020

Hello Chandan Prakash,

You know about an uncertainty, so put that uncertainty in your
timeline.  Something like "Unavailable for one week some time between
<WHEN> and <WHEN> for exams that are yet to be scheduled by the <NAME>
university."  You might also explain in the note if you plan to work
extra hours either side of that week to compensate for the time lost.

Sugar, Music Blocks, and Sugarizer are open source projects, and these
projects thrive on volunteer effort by many people, along with
contributions from Google and OLPC.  Acquiring a new volunteer is
precious to us, and so Sugar Labs engages with GSoC to find volunteers
from among the student body.  We offer our mentoring, Google offers
their administration and money, and hopefully Sugar Labs gets someone
who will be with us for a long time.

But that isn't a reason not to do a timeline.  Doing a timeline
demonstrates your capacity for estimating and project planning.  Some
of your mentors have decades of experience in this, and can quickly
sense a weak timeline.

As I've said before (12th March), don't spend too much time planning
the work into a project schedule or against the evaluation timeline.
We don't value this kind of scheduling or planning, because we know
that (a) there is always more to do than can ever be done, (b) the
only way to know how long something takes is to do it, and (c) falling
short of a schedule may cause hasty work which brings us problems
later.

A better use of your time may be concentrating on being the right fit for
Sugar Labs;

https://github.com/sugarlabs/GSoC#right-fit

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 06:27:35PM +0530, Chandan Prakash wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> This is a small query regarding GSoC timeline in student proposal. I am finding
> it difficult to provide a confirm timing for my university examinations as my
> semester has been extended due to covid19. I also do not know proper dates for
> it as of now . It may happen that I may not be able to show up for different
> week other than what stated on my proposal due to university examinations. But
> I am sure I will be covering that in my other days when it was supposed to
> happen .
> Is it okay ? I just want to confirm because in other mail , James had said that
> student just not work duringĀ  GSoC but community wants them to work with them
> for years. I think in that respect this is not a big deal and something same
> for timeline .
> Please suggest me if I am wrong . I will be also sharing my proposal soon .
>
> Thanks

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/