[Sugar-devel] Proposal query

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Mar 17 15:28:35 EDT 2020

We're looking for the right fit.  My assessment will be based about
50% on proposal, and 50% on right fit.
https://github.com/sugarlabs/GSoC#right-fit

Our README.md says proposals "must be your own work, and not the work
of others, except where the work of others is minimal, duly credited
and quoted,"
https://github.com/sugarlabs/GSoC/blob/master/README.md#want-to-work-with-us-

The exact form of how you do this is not important.  You could use a
bibliography, footnotes, or notes within the flow.  It should not take
long for you to do this.

What I'm trying to avoid is;

- direct copying without permission from one student proposal to
  another student proposal; a breach of copyright and cheating,
  leading to students delaying or not making a proposal public,

- proposals that look the same as last year's proposals; failing to
  recognise the changed environment this year,

- proposals where a student uses a professional writer or other
  service; a misrepresentation that we hope to discover when comparing
  what the student says on the mailing list and what they say in their
  proposal,

Hope that helps explain what I'm looking for.  Other mentors may have
different plans, and you should listen closely to the mentors for your
chosen project idea.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 07:56:37PM +0530, Abhishek Tanwar wrote:
> Can I take inspiration from previous GSoC idea and project while making my own
> proposal?
> If yes do I need to mention it in my proposal/giveĀ  credits.If anyone could
> tell me the proper way to give credits ,I would be grateful to you.
>
> Thank you

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/