[Sugar-devel] Release git packages for Sugar

Srevin Saju srevin03 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 07:24:21 EDT 2020

Yes, I will try to test more. I have locally created the fix for the new
issue on Sugar repository #909, but I would need to test it out before
creating the PR.
Maybe we could add more task to the GSoC to improve the sugar repository.
We have 12 unfinished Pull Requests (excluding 1 (mine) and 2 (Hrishi's)).
The only thing I am worried about is, that we are actually using most of
our time in porting and maintenance activities. We could also use GSoC as a
part of adding more features to the Sugar Desktop environment. I
acknowledge the lack of time, but you may consider this too as GSoC tasks,
As mentors / assisting mentors, more of Sugar bugs could be discovered only
by testing these PRs. Student's testing of his own feature might help to
find other Sugar bugs too.
Hope this might be useful. Thanks.

Few more ideas to consider:
* Read desktop application files (.desktop) to create a App Launcher for
Sugar within Sugar. It might enable students to use other applications like
Inkscape (apart from unmaintained Kidscape), etc. A shortcut on the sugar
desktop can enable the same. This is an easy and possible (but needs
testing) task for GSoC or future GCI
* Classic Grid layout for activities on the Home view
* Add a PyQt5 Wrapper for Sugar. (This should enable activities built in
PyQt5 to be run in Sugar, will create another 60 MB dependency, but will
reduce work). I found that it is easier to create a window with Sugar
Elements in PyQt5 than to port a PyQt5 app (such as mnemosyne) to GTK;
probably I will end up doing this, (I am a PyQt5 fan))
I will add more if found, :)