[Sugar-devel] Testing Changes

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Mar 13 00:49:33 EDT 2020

Hello Jui,

I've used all of those methods.  It is important to test any changes,
and to test both Sugar and activities that use the changes.  And when
you make a commit, be sure to mention the tests.

Yes, you may make changes to a source repository clone in
/usr/src/sugar of Sugar Live Build and then run autogen, "make", and
"make install".  You must take care to give the correct --prefix value
to autogen, otherwise you may end up with multiple installs of
modules.  0900-sugar.hook.chroot in sugar-live-build shows how the
modules are built for Sugar Live Build.  You must also take care not
to mix files installed by operating system packages with files
installed with "make install".  Our development-environment.md
explains other things that have to be done.

You may also directly change the code in your working system; but use
some method to track and revert your changes.  Two methods I use;

- create a git repository in the path,
  e.g. /usr/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/sugar3

- write a script to do only the parts of "make install" that you need,
  e.g. rsync -rv src/sugar3 vm:/usr/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/

Whatever you do to test, mention it briefly in your commit message.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 09:55:04AM +0530, Jui Pradhan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I make changes to the sugar gtk repository, how should I test sugar with
> changed configurations? Should I use a virtual Machine for testing? On a ubuntu
> VM install all dependencies, especially sugar-artwork, sugar-datastore, and
> sugar-toolkit-gtk3.
> and then clone the repository, run autogen.sh, then make and make install. Or
> is there any other way of doing this?
>
> Or is it alright if I directly change just the part of the code in my working
> sugar desktop.
> I found the path of files- /usr/src/sugar
>
> Thanks.

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/