[Sugar-devel] Proposal to move communication to other platform

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Wed Mar 4 13:06:59 EST 2020

Prashant,

We also offer our own Sugar Labs specific IRC chat gateway, at
http://chat.sugarlabs.org:9090/

I'd like to understand more fully why you believe IRC is hard for you to
use. Is it hard because you've never used it before? Is it hard because
you have no familiarity with it? IRC can absolutely be used on mobile
devices, and this basic misunderstanding shows me that you're not
particularly familiar with some basic IRC facts, nor have you bothered
to open your mobile phone up, go to the app store, and type "IRC" in to
the search field. Which mobile platform are you using? Android? iOS? If
you tell us, we can recommend some clients for you.

The issue of loss-of-state when you're disconnected from IRC is a known
problem for 25+ years, and many ways to address it have been developed
over that period of time.  There are IRC bouncers, web-based IRC
clients, and all sorts of other solutions to these problems, if you can
be bothered to search for them, instead of assuming that no solution
exists, which is sorta what seems to have happened here.

There are several reasons why we don't use Slack, Discord, or other
proprietary messaging systems, which I'm not going to get into the
details of here, but since they are corporate owned-and-operated pieces
of infrastructure, they may or may not exist in the future.

The primary problem with using Gitter is that it requires you to have a
GitHub account, and has no other authentication mechanism. Developers
are not the only people we care about, and IRC is accessible to all, and
is fundamentally democratic.