[Sugar-devel] Building+Running on Ubuntu 18

Alan W Szlosek Jr alan.szlosek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 07:50:37 EDT 2020

Hi all! I'm responding with an update and some thanks for James...

James, your "~quozl" deb package repo worked great with Ubuntu 20.04. It
allowed me to install newer Sugar on a Dell Mini 1012 laptop for my
daughter to play with. So thanks again!

I've also had success building Sugar from source using the "v.0117" git tag
you mentioned. I have another laptop with a 32bit processor so I've been
building on Debian 10.4 and Ubuntu 18 (since 20.04 doesn't run on 32bit
machines). Using what I've found in the sugar-live-build repo, I finally
have a build script that works. My gist for building under Debian is here:
https://gist.github.com/alanszlosek/8eb03f5a3915e1e48fee61531e369355

I did find a very odd difference between Debian and Ubuntu that I felt
important to point out ....

On my Debian build, when Sugar starts up and "takes inventory" of the
installed activities, it expects "locale/en_US.UTF-8" to exist in each
activity folder. On Ubuntu 18, the encoding isn't part of the expected
path, so it only looks for "locale/en_US" which seems correct.

Any idea what's going on here?

--
Alan Szlosek