[Sugar-devel] GSoC Project Update - 27th July 2020

Saumya Mishra 2017230 at iiitdmj.ac.in
Sun Jul 26 16:51:39 EDT 2020

Hello all,
I am sharing the progress I made in my project -  *Port Sugar and core
activities to Python3* after 1st evaluation.

*Sugar: *

   - The two tracebacks present in sugar while adding a friend and deleting
   a friend in Group View has solved. Thanks to @James Cameron
   <quozl at laptop.org> for helping me out. See #921
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/921>
   - Remove use of Webkit1 by James

*Sugar-toolkit-gtk3:* Changes in #451
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/pull/451>

   - Port to Python3 - remove the use of WebKit1 ( WebKit1 API is not
   available for Python 3)
   - Port to Python3 - get_preview returns bytes ( Change made in the doc)
   - Change type of units for zoom ( As zoom accepts float as well as int
   units)

*Write:*

   - Pasting images (eg. the ones copied from the web ) using CTRL+V throws
   errors

Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/src/sugar-activities/Write.activity/toolbar.py",
>  line 160, in __paste_button_cb px_file.write(data)
> TypeError: write() argument must be str, not bytes

Solved in 2ed827c
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/write-activity/commit/2ed827c7d615e0cb972f67cc0c2288ba06aa35c4>

   -  Remove unnecessary errors printed in logs.

Change from logging.error to debug.
> Reported by - Shaan Subbaiah <shaansubbaiah.cs18 at bmsce.ac.in>
> -- 1593854307.251860 ERROR root: tempfile is /home/user/.sugar/default/org.laptop.AbiWordActivity/instance/tmpmfc6g_tc.png

Solved in dd854c0
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/write-activity/commit/dd854c06378cabf0d064d8dc87b5789d2a1a7746>

*Browse*: Following changes have merged 111
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/browse-activity/pull/111>

   - Fix AttributeErrors in DummyBrowser
   - Replace error with debug
   - Encode URI from str to bytes
   - Change to the use of file transfer constants
   - Use GLib.markup_escape_text() before parsing URI and title
   - Expected type 'int', got 'float' instead

*Calculate: *Following changes have merged #68
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/calculate-activity/pull/68>

   - Fix round function issue
   - Fix AttributeError raise while plotting
   - Fix built-in variable names
   - Fix Error message format

ValueError: unsupported format character ''' (0x27) at index 14

   - Fix - Submitting/pressing ‘=’ without entering any value throws
   - Fix traceback occurred while clicking on 'pi' and 'e'

*Collabwrapper: *Propose a change in #25
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/collabwrapper/pull/25> which is related to
the decoding of data at the receiver end while file transfer. Required
reviews.

*flipsticks: *changes in #6 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/flipsticks/pull/6>

   - Review Port to Gtk3 by Yash Agrawal and make necessary changes
   - Port to Python 3
   - Port from telepathy to TelepathyGLib
   - Fix TypeError: Item 0: Must be number, not str
   - Fix the Snapshot button and errors noticed due to not proper port to
   Gtk3 (WIP)

*Polari: *changes in *#7
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/PolariActivity/pull/7>*

   - Port to Python3 and rebased with upstream, use distro-specific twisted
   - Fix UnicodeDecodeError (which was a blockage earlier)

*Yupana*: merged changes in #4 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/yupana/pull/4>

   - Port to Gtk3: missing shared_activity
   - Encode svg_string - from str to bytes
   - Updates sprites.py from upstream
   - Add Gtk and Gdk version info
   - Fix Indentations
   - Port from telepathy to TelepathyGLib
   - Port to Python3

*Ruler: *merged changes in #12 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/ruler/pull/12>

   - Fix PyGIWarnings
   - Remove check_output ( not called in the activity)
   - Port to Python3

*Cartoon-Builder:* Changes in #13
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/cartoon-builder/pull/13/commits>

   - Port to TelepathyGLib
   - Fix regarding collaboration
   - Port to Python3
   - Fix many AttributeErrors and TypeErrors
   - Fix display resolution of activity
   - Fix the Use built-in JSON

*Arithmetic: *Changes in #7 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/arithmetic/pull/7>
 (WIP)

   - Port to Gtk3 of arithmetic
   - Port to GObject and GLib
   - *dobject* (submodule): Port to Gtk3, TelepathyGLib, from object to
   GLib and Python3

*Stick-hero-activity: *Changes in #29
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/stick-hero-activity/pull/29>

   - Update with latest Sugar game
   - Port to Python3
   - Fix issue #20
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/stick-hero-activity/issues/20>

*Chat: *Fix Gtk Clipboard issue 69e4701
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/chat/commit/69e4701c79677dac900f90b6fd5f6da9d766729c>

*Starchart: *Changes in *#*8 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/starchart/pull/8>

   - Review Port to Gtk3 by Yash Agrawal and make some changes
   - Port to Python 3
   - Fix draw event called at the time of pressing stop
   - Remove support for the old toolbox
   - Fix Documentation link in GTk.Label
   - Remove some global variables

Major blockage - Fix delay in redraw of view changing buttons, Line drawing
width regression (constellation lines and stars are different sizes in
Python3 as they were in Python2)

*ImageViewer: *Tested Collaboration #32
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/imageviewer-activity/issues/32>
*getiabooks:* Changes in #12