[Sugar-devel] facing difficulties in setting up sugar development environment

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jan 16 16:18:04 EST 2020

Hello Ayushman,

Yes, Ubuntu 18.04 does not have sugar-activity3, that's why we provided Sugar Live Build.

No, it is not necessary to rebuild Sugar Live Build.  Better is to install it in a VM.

Sugar will read activities in the Activities directory when Sugar starts.

A native build requires additional dependencies, and you will have to resolve them yourself if you choose that method.  Decorator is provided by python3-decorator package, Requests by python3-requests package, but there will likely be other dependencies.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 08:40:13PM +0530, ayushman khurana wrote:
> hello,
> I am Ayushman, from India.
> i am acing difficulties  in setting up sugar development environment.
>
>  - i have installed sucrose in my ubuntu 18.04. here sugar-activity .
> command is working while sugar-activity3 . command is not working.
> her my activities are in usr/share/sugar/activities
>
> - i have created a bootable flash drive using sugar debian live build [1]https:
> //github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/development-environment.md#
> sugar-live-build
> now i can boot from pen drive successfully and use sugar-dekstop.
> but the i am not understanding how to test the activities i will write.
> do i have to create a Activities folder in my ubuntu and create new activity in
> it computer and when i boot from debian sugar build pen drive would it
> automatically detect that new activity or Activities folder ( or ) i have to
> create a Activites folder by terminal activity in sugar desktop live build?
> the first option didn't work i tried.
>
>  - now i tried sugar native build
> here i am getting No module named 'decorator' in sugar-activity3 .
> and No module named request in sugar-activity . command
>
> I am so much confused.
> please help me and also tell me how to remove sugar installed via native build
> so that i can try again.

> [1] https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/development-environment.md#sugar-live-build

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/