[Sugar-devel] Today's Minutes and Next Meeting Time

Martin Guy martinwguy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 09:34:18 EST 2020

On 11/12/2020, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> I agree that the mailing list should be mentioned as a priority.

Just my two pennies' worth: I've never got on with IRC for
technical/strategic discussions, as I find it occupies me totally and
I can't do anything else, while I can go to email when I choose and
give it all my useful (I hope!) attention, while with IRC I find I'm
sitting there doing nothing most of the time, which I find
frustrating. I guess that's because I only have one brain cell and am
not able to flicker my attention between the IRC window and something
else, though I've known many developers who find that mode a positive
and enriching way to work.

Use of IRC as a primary channel shuts me out, and unfortunately some
"decisions" have been taken in past projects that, by the time I found
out about them, were "decided", even though some of them had
unfortunate consequences. By the time I arrived, it was "No, it's
already been decided", without my input and "behind the scenes" from
my viewpoint.

For something like a programmed meeting (e.g. SLOB meetings) of
course, the immediacy is ideal, and I'm sure timezone differences can
be accommodated for by choosing the right time of day.

So I'd say each has its place, but they are not in competition

PS I didn't know about Matrix and all the other good things the
Federated Networks Association is doing. Thanks for the pointer!