[Sugar-devel] Today's Minutes and Next Meeting Time

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Dec 11 05:04:37 EST 2020

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 10:02:15AM +0300, Srevin Saju wrote:

> On 12/11/20 12:18 AM, Alex Perez wrote:
> >
> > James Cameron wrote on 12/9/20 9:09 PM:

> > > It is about time this came up again.
> > Pretty much :)
>
> :D

> > > Yes, even my "How to get started as a Sugar Labs developer" points to
> > > IRC.
> > >
> Yes, the problem is, we recommend IRC, but we do not use it. There are
> people who follow guides like this, set up everything on IRC with some great
> difficulty, put some message out there in the channel, and receive no reply.
> Yes, we are in different timezones, but perhaps we should explicitly tell
> them to "stay around for 48 hours, we cannot reply immediately" or something
> like that.

It would be helpful to set expectations, but if the text grows too
much then people don't finish reading it before taking action.

> > > It is easier to explain the lack of reply as being caused by a lack of
> > > contributing members, and a focus by the remaining members on their
> > > specific projects in a way that does not require collaborating in
> > > real-time.  The GitHub commit pattern over time confirms this.
> Hmm
> > > (a) my preference is not to call them developers until they have
> > > contributed,
> I assume they are supposed to be called contributors right? I mean "just
> developers", not "Sugar developers"

Perhaps not until they have contributed in a substantial way.

> [...]
> > communicate", let's change it completely, you're inevitably going to
> > experience resistance. To expect anything else is nuts. We have mailing
> > lists for non-realtime communications. If you're e-mail averse, you will
> > not last long in any open source community.
>
> I do not suggest that we replace IRC with Matrix. you might have got me
> wrong. Matrix is the best to go along with IRC. Rather than we just have
> IRC, we can also have matrix along with IRC and suggest them to users. I
> would not myself give away IRC. I would still use IRC
>
> Regarding this history of the matrix channel,... Matrix channel was found by
> samtoday (Sam), and icarito (Sebastian), and it existed with few members.
> Bernie introduced me to matrix during July, and we somehow found that we had
> a channel called #sugar:matrix.org on matrix, and we did not know. Next
> steps were, we asked icarito to kindly provide me and bernie, admin
> privileges and we dusted out the channel, and connected the matrix channel
> to IRC using a matrix bridge maintained by matrix.org
>
> I had written to the mailing list, but I am sure it went unnoticed due to
> the lack of context in my explanation
>
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2020-July/058555.html
>
> > > My opinion is that you've got the cart before the horse.  First thing
> > > that is needed is for potential contributors to become developers, and
> > > to collaborate on something.
> > Agreed. And honestly, if you can't follow basic directions on how to use
> > and connect to an IRC channel, I find it very, very unlikely that
> > newcomers will have the patience necessary to become meaningful
> > contributors.
>
> Yes, I agree too. Matrix is also not meant to make it easy for new
> contributors. It is only a future convenience. Being in touch with the
> community without a bouncer, being able to answer people's questions even
> when you are away from keyboard, for example over an Android/iOS device, or
> anywhere from a web browser. Matrix includes the "basic directions" but to
> connect to a matrix channel. Not all people have bouncers though. A person
> might ask a question in the afternoon, but to get the  reply after he got
> disconnected.
>
> The main problem is _not_ about a new communication platform. The question
> is.. if we dont use IRC, or reply to a person's message, or if we know that
> their questions will likely go unanswered, then shouldn't we remove IRC from
> our preferred mode of communication. On "Getting started as a Sugar Labs
> contributor" and sugar-docs/../contact.md, we both mention IRC as our
> primary mode of contact. Maybe, we should replace it with the mailing list,
> (as I have seen that the mailing list has more conversation than IRC in the
> past 3-4 months) so that users can reach out there instead of an IRC channel
> where they almost never get a reply right? I am sure almost all questions on
> the mailing list get answered by someone. Async.

I agree that the mailing list should be mentioned as a priority.

> > > Where you have potential contributors using IRC to ask questions that
> > > are answered by documentation or source code; that's just a help line
> > > or chat bot.  It is often a waste of time to invest in that.  Better
> > > is to fix the problem they are reporting.
> > Agreed. It's not as though we have paid customer support/engagement
> > people to do anything with such complaints, anyways.
> Agreed.

> > > An alternate way of looking at this is to avoid talking about
> > > choice of communication tools, instead work toward;
> > >
> > > - gathering people together,
> > >
> > > - agreeing on the unmet needs, or technical debt, to be resolved,
> > >
> > > - dividing up the work to be done,
> > >
> > > - starting the work, and;
> > >
> > > - tracking progress.
> > Agreed.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Things which I do not agree to:
>
> * Splitting of the community on the basis of a mode of communication

I think it is not a split of community, but rather a lack of members.

> * Documentation suggesting IRC, which almost never gets a reply, otherwise,
> we have to explicitly ask them to stay around for 48 hours on the channel
> and not leave hopeless
> * Lack of transparency in what happens in sister projects of Sugar Labs
> * Communication is becoming lesser and lesser transparent than what it was
> when it was on IRC, or on mailing lists.

I also think this is a lack of members.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/