[Sugar-devel] Today's Minutes and Next Meeting Time

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Dec 10 17:14:52 EST 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 01:18:28PM -0800, Alex Perez wrote:
> James Cameron wrote on 12/9/20 9:09 PM:
> > On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 07:13:49AM +0300, Srevin Saju wrote:
> >> G'day!
> >>
> >> I have a topic, which perhaps needs discussion,
> > It is about time this came up again.
>
> Pretty much :)

Heh.

> > (b) these barriers to using IRC do not seem difficult; above all, why
> > are we doing FreeNode's job for them?
>
> In what way do you feel we're doing FreeNode's job for them? I don't
> get it.

Oh, sorry.  When we explain to potential contributors how to register
to use IRC.  FreeNode has this responsibility.  Were we to assume that
responsibility we would have to track any changes to the instructions.

In similar fashion,
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Matrix
assumes some responsibility for how to use Matrix.

On the positive side, I love how our potential contributors have
yielded someone like Srevin who doesn't need to be told how to do
things with tools like git, github, IRC, and Matrix.

I welcome potential contributors, but I just don't think we need to
hold their hands and lead them around.  I give them a list of things
to do, and when they don't do them I know what to do next; nothing.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/