[Sugar-devel] Updating sugar-web with changes from Sugarizer

Cheong Siu Hong cheongsiuhong at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 12:42:08 EDT 2020

Hello all,

Currently, the sugar-web library is fairly outdated. I have been working on
backporting changes from Sugarizer's sugar-web, and more details can be
seen in the pull request at https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-web/pull/133.

I would like to open this up to more discussion, but so far from the
discussion in the PR, the plan currently is as follows:

1. Update a set of files for sugar-web (i.e. for each component)
2. Test if some Sugar Web activities work with the updated library, else
make porting fixes.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until sugar-web is up to date with Sugarizer.
4. Select a version for next release (i.e. 0.118)
5. Push changes to selected Sugar Web activities to make them work with the
updated library.
6. Write a guide for porting old Sugar Web activities.

This merely brings the sugar-web repository back up to speed with that of
Sugarizer's. Sugarizer activities may still not work natively on Sugar.

I would also like to ask and discuss about the direction that this library
is going to take. Is the aim to have a sugar-web library that will work on
both native Sugar Desktop and Sugarizer? Currently, I have submitted a GSoC
proposal for working on this, and it would be great to hear the community's
thoughts on the matter.

Best regards,
Cheong Siu Hong