[Sugar-devel] GCI update

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 25 02:17:12 EST 2019

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 09:09:46PM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 8:13 PM James Cameron <[1]quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>     Thanks, that worked better.
>
> Glad you are able to see all of the tasks now.
>
>     [2]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5202335932874752/ is
>     already completed.
>
> deleted.
>
>     [3]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5095174972112896/ is
>     already completed.
>
> deleted.
>
> FWIW, I deleted two Music Blocks tasks today too as we just got PRs for them.
> Happens.
>
>     [4]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5752323406561280/ makes
>     no sense; there was no general agreement by any of the maintainers to
>     use this tool, and if there was, it should be attached to the specific
>     project not Sugar Labs in general.  Perhaps something for the
>     oversight board rather than a GCI student.
>
> I pushed back on this already but I though it would be good to learn a bit more
> about such tools. It was a research project, nothing more. Maybe we should look
> into GitHub actions as a means of exploring CI.

The product mentioned is not open source, and has an operating model
that may change the terms and conditions for use after we begin using
it.

I don't know who suggested it.  Can you tell me?  If it was Lionel,
then tune the description for Sugarizer.

Meanwhile, until it is resolved within the community what is needed,
it is unfair to let any student take the task.

>     [5]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5643490613002240/ is
>     already assigned (to me), the cause is well understood, and anyway the
>     changes likely to be done aren't to [6]configure.ac file.
>
> Was never published as I had doubts. Thanks for clarifying.
>
>     [7]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5174561855766528/ seems
>     to be a duplicate of
>     [8]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5990706573737984/ with
>     the latter being better defined.
>
> Deleted the duplicate, which was not published.
>
>     [9]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5416369386946560/
>     makes no sense because the activity does not support collaboration,
>     and so there's no way to test if the task was completed properly.
>
> I didn't recall if I ever added  collaboration to Story, but I think it would
> be a nice addition. So I rewrote the task to add collaboration.
>
>     [10]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5756584903311360/ makes
>     no sense; Pippy is a Fructose activity therefore it is always
>     installed with Sugar.
>
> deleted. (Was never published)
>
>     --
>
>     Some of the tasks I've changed;
>
>     [11]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/6283229045194752/ was
>     not well explained; fixed.
>
> +1
>
>     [12]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5663050028285952/
>     suggested changing the style and appearance of Pippy documentation,
>     but as this is part of the Help activity it can't be done that way;
>     fixed.
>
> +1
>
>     [13]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5572284450865152/ failed
>     to mention our trademarks and referred to Sugar Labs by the wrong
>     name, and didn't have enough instances; fixed.
>
> I made some edits too.
>
>     [14]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/6240060362457088/ also
>     failed to mention the trademark concerns; fixed.
>
> Yeah. Not 100% sold on this task. I have a hard time believing we'll see
> something worth going to the trouble of changing our logo.
>
>     [15]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5667733656567808/ can't
>     be done until a Port to GTK 3 is completed, so changed instance
>     count to zero.
>
> We can unpublish and then publish when it is ready.
>
>     [16]https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5662089583001600/ lesson
>     plans go in the Help activity.
>
>  I was going to do a bit more cleaning up before publishing this one.
>
>     --
>
>     Tasks suggested;
>
>     - complete a code review or test on someone else's pull request, with
>       reference to our contribution guide section for reviewers,
>
> This is a nice idea. We need to figure out the logistics.
>
>     - further work on Jappy, or Develop, rather than only Pippy,
>
> Wanna wrtie something up?

No, I've only really got experience with Pippy; and that's my point, I
don't think we should be favouring one of these based only on
experience.  Perhaps the tasks should be vague enough to cover that.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/