[Sugar-devel] GCI update

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Nov 24 04:17:03 EST 2019

I'll have to take your word for it on "almost 200", as the dashboard
only shows me 63.

For those I can see, quality of the tasks is a problem.

Several of them make no sense or are for already completed work.

Yet all I can do is change the description or the instance count.  I
don't even know who made the tasks.

The tasks need better review before they are published.  There's
nothing so demoralising for a student to realise they are being
misguided into wasting their time.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 10:07:21AM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
> GCI begins on 2 December. We are in pretty good shape: almost 200 tasks
> published with a nice balance between Sugar Desktop, Music Blocks and
> Sugarizer. (Thanks to everyone who has been helping with task creation.)
>
> Note that we can continue to add more tasks throughout the contest.
>
> Most tasks have 4-6 mentors, so I think we should have decent coverage in terms
> of feedback to the participants. Please, where as the primary channel for
> communication with the participants will be IRC, try to hang out in #sugar as
> much as possible. We are here to help the students learn, so please keep that
> in mind. (We also expect some solid contributions to Sugar.)
>
> Reminder: We expect that the quality of submissions be the same as for any
> contribution. Please do not sign off on tasks that are not complete or of high
> quality.
>
> GCI is fun and productive.
>
> Enjoy.
>
> regards.