[Sugar-devel] Unable to locate source package for sugar-toolkit (Native Installation of sugar v0.114)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed May 22 22:01:53 EDT 2019

Thanks for reporting this.

Whether it works or not depends on the version of Debian or Ubuntu you
are using.  The sugar-toolkit module is for GTK 2, and was last packaged;

* for Debian 9 (Stretch),
* for Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial).

It was dropped because Rsvg was dropped, in turn because Rsvg was not
maintained.

You will need sugar-toolkit module to run any Sugar activities that
depend on GTK 2.  You will also need sugar-toolkit as part of porting
any of these activities to GTK 3; because you must verify the user
experience is unchanged.  We saw recently with the Bichos activity how
important this is.

For OLPC OS my package archive has sugar-toolkit for Ubuntu 18.04, and
an unmaintained Rsvg package.

What changes do you propose for development-environment.md?

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 04:16:24PM +0530, Swarup N wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to setup the sugar development environment via the native build
> method as described [1]here.
> I am able to clone the respective repositories, however when I run sudo apt
> build-dep sugar-toolkit , I get the following error:
> E: Unable to find a source package for sugar-toolkit
>
> I am however able to run the same build-dep command for the other repositories
> such as sugar-datastore, sugar-artwork and so on.
>
> I did uncomment all the deb-src lines from /etc/apt/sources.list.
>
> Can anyone guide me on how to proceed from here?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Swarup N

> [1] https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/development-environment.md

James Cameron