[Sugar-devel] GSoC proposal : creating new activity for Sugarizer

Sanjana Mundhra sanjanamundhra at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:35:04 EDT 2019

Hey all!

I am Sanjana Mundhra, a third year B.Tech student from The LNM Institute of
Information Technology, Jaipur.

Sugarizer has been providing some amusing learning activities for children
and I hope to add mine to the list. What I came up with is a word search
game with a few tweaks and variations.

 The game consists of letters of words placed in a grid. The objective of
this puzzle is to find and mark all the horizontally, vertically, or
diagonally placed words hidden inside the box. Click and drag over a word
to check it off the list. They are fun to play, but also educational- in
fact, many teachers make use of them.

  This will encourage the children to:

   - *Explore new topics.* Many word search puzzles have a theme to which
   all the hidden words are related. Some of these are just for fun, but a
   *topic* can also introduce essential vocabulary that every child should
   possess.
   - *Improve spelling.* Young minds can learn new words and their
   *spellings* by intensively searching for them, letter by letter, in the
   puzzle. In fact they are rehearsing the spelling over and over in their
   minds as they look for the letters the word contains.
   - *Improve concentration.* A valuable skill, concentration is required
   to successfully complete this puzzle. It encourages the brain to stay
   focused.
   - *Enhance visual acuity.* Eyes that are trained regularly to look for
   small details will be stronger and more effective in many situations.
   - *Form strategies.* Form various algorithms and strategies to search
   quickly for words without even realising it.

We can add diagonal & backward written words at higher difficulty levels.
Often a list of the hidden words is provided, but more challenging puzzles
may let the player figure them out. On a more advanced level, word searches
are good ways to demonstrate the use of searching algorithms. Other
variations include solving given math puzzles and searching for the answer
in the grid.

I am well acquainted with React js, a technology widely used in this
organization and hope to contribute to it this summer as my GSOC 2019
project.  After studying the present activities in Sugarizer, I feel its a
place where learning meets fun and I think this activity will help take
this trend onward. This is just a rough idea of my proposal, all reviews
and suggestions are most welcome.

Regards,

Sanjana Mundhra