[Sugar-devel] Enquiry Regarding Contribution To Write Activity Project

Ashish Aggarwal ashish09101998 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 04:40:34 EDT 2019

Hello James,
I went through the mentioned text editors Quill, TinyMCE, CKEditor, webODF
as well as SunEditor and Froala.
Here is result of the search done by me :

Quill : Quill is a free, open source WYSIWYG editor built for the modern
web. It supports all major modern browsers . It has support on stack and
github. The major issue I found in it was lack of support for tables.

TinyMCE : It is also open source Licensed under LGPL . It has all major
features required for editing the content . It has great documentation and
an active community. It is not completely free and is API key based.

CKEditor : It is also open source and an easy to use rich text editor . It
also has large active community. It has some minor cross browser platform
issues.

WebODF : It is also open source . It has a major drawback the community is
not active anymore.

Reference - here <https://github.com/webodf/WebODF/issues/947>.

SunEditor : It is also an open source editor. It has all major features
required for the project. The major issue is it has a very thin community.

I have also contributed to this Editor here
<https://github.com/JiHong88/SunEditor/pull/84>.

Froala : It is also an open source editor with active and large community .
It also has all major features required for the project .It has good
documentation and has a very good performance .It is available for all
major frameworks. Although it is open source, but the professional support
is paid.

Conclusion  : I feel the best way moving forward is to create our own
purely javascript based rich text editor without  pure reliability on any
other text editor. Our editor would take inspiration from these editors in
terms of frameworks used and coding style. The major advantage of doing it
will be having a high scale of customisation as per the needs of the
project. It would be easier to maintain and do changes to it as per our
requirements.

I have tried to implement a basic rich text editor with some major features
here <https://ashish0910.github.io/Texteditor/index.html> purely based on
HTML/CSS and JS .

Ref - https://stackoverflow.com/a/6008195

Export content to printable format : Most major rich text editors uses some
API or js libraries to convert the data present in PDF format .

For example CKEditor and TinyMCE uses  Api2Pdf REST API
<https://www.api2pdf.com/documentation> ( We can also use the same in our
custom editor )

Also npm packages such as  html-pdf <https://www.npmjs.com/package/html-pdf>
can also solve the problem

There is one more way do implement it using this
<https://github.com/MrRio/jsPDF>

Export content to editable format : Majority of previously existing text
editors supports only convert to html format . However we can have export
to txt , Open XML word documents , HTML.

For txt and HTML : Best way to do this is through FileSaver.js
<https://github.com/eligrey/FileSaver.js/> and Blob
<https://www.javascripture.com/Blob>

A more advanced way would be StreamSaver.js
<https://github.com/jimmywarting/StreamSaver.js> in case of extremely large
files ( greater than 2gb ) .

For doc : We can use jquery word export plugin example
<https://codepen.io/airpwn/pen/LRZdJo> .

Also we can use MariGold.OpenXHTML
<https://github.com/kannan-ar/MariGold.OpenXHTML>

For RTF : We can use this
<http://jsfiddle.net/JamesMGreene/2b6Lc/?utm_source=website&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=2b6Lc>
type of approach and Blob to get RTF files

Regards ,

Ashish aggarwal <http://ashishaggarwal.tech/>

github - ashish0910 <https://github.com/ashish0910>