[Sugar-devel] Collaboration Between Activities Fail with Fedora 29 SoaS

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Wed Mar 13 13:30:43 EDT 2019

Samson,

Based on my previous conversations with you, you had indicated you were
using Fedora 29 32-bit SoaS. Please confirm that this is still the case.
I have changed the subject line to reflect this.

I believe you are encountering the issue which we thought we had fixed
with a previous patch (see https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/issues/814
). This patch is now upstream in F29, but _only_ if you use the updated
32-bit SoaS image, which is not yet generally available. Even with the
fix in place, collaboration still fails with the same message.

After starting Sugar, open the Terminal, and type 'grep key
~/.sugar/default/logs/shell.log' If you see a message which says "ERROR
root: Error parsing public key" then you are running into a bug that has
been present in the last several versions of Fedora, and completely
breaks collaboration. The underlying problem is still not fully
understood, however we know it's related to SSH keys.

Additionally, for collaboration to function, you must also make sure
that your Ethernet interfaces have IP addresses (self-assigned is fine),
and that there is a default route set on each computer that is
attempting to collaborate. You can check this from the terminal with "ip
route", and if there is no line that starts with "default" or no output
at all, then there is no default route set, and collaboration will not work.

Here is an example of the output of shell.log which shows the error:
http://alexperez.com/xo1/VirtualBox_Fedora29-soas-shell.log.png

Samson Goddy wrote on 3/13/19 7:09 AM:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> We've been working on installing SOAS on some computers in a school
> and we were testing collaboration using CAT5 cables connected to a router
> and also connected to the two computers running the SOAS instances,
> the both instances are seen on the two computers but after joining an
> activity
> the "Joining activity" alert and collaboration doesn't happen.
>
> Logs here <https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/zHTTguZXyh4k7xskpe4Inw>.
>
> --
>
> 	Samson Goddy
>
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/samson_goddy