[Sugar-devel] Multiversion Packages of toolkit.

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Jun 30 19:51:10 EDT 2019

You neglected to mention that you are asking about Debian and Ubuntu
binary packages.  Ubuntu packages come from Debian unchanged, so your
question can be reduced to Debian packaging.

We're the wrong people to ask.  It's not a skill any of us at Sugar
Labs have, otherwise we would have done it by now.

The people who know how to do this are Debian and Ubuntu package
developers.

I've tried asking one of the Debian developers but they were too busy
to give private assistance.  Private assistance does not scale, so the
return on investment is meagre.

I suggest you try these things;

1.  write a throw-away script to download all Debian packages that
depend on Python 2 or Python 3, intersect a union of source packages
that support both versions, and then list those packages that contain
configure.ac in the source package,

2.  review those Debian and Ubuntu source packages that are used to
generate binary packages for both Python 2 and Python 3, and list the
package design patterns that you observe,

3.  contact the Debian developers using their mailing lists, or other
methods,

4.  engage in the Debian project by reporting a bug that asks for
packaging of a new version of the toolkit; currently 0.112 is
packaged.

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 02:32:33PM +0530, ANIKET MATHUR wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been working on developing multi-version packages for toolkit which can
> build for both Python and Python 3. I successfully build packages for python,
> but not able to yet built one's having multi-version support. I have been
> working on this for some time in the last two weeks, trying to get something
> from the source code of existing tools that have these packages, like 'pip' and
> a lot more.
>
> I need help and suggestions in this work. :-)
>
> Thanks!

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/