[Sugar-devel] Running Sugar Desktop on Ubuntu 18.04

Swarup N nswarup14 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 09:54:11 EDT 2019

Hello,
For the last couple of days, I've been unable to launch the Sugar desktop
environment. I'm currently using Ubuntu 18.04 and have installed Sugar
v0.114 via the native build.

As per the docs
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/development-environment.md>,
under Packaged Sugar, it now says *Log out and Log in with the sugar
desktop selected.* I note that the section about *rdesktop *and *xdrp* has
been removed. However doing the above does not let me access the Sugar
desktop.

I tried running commands like *sudo su - guest -c 'echo sugar >> .xsession'
*and *echo sugar | sudo tee -a /home/guest/.xsession.*

The former runs successfully whereas the latter returns, *su: .xsession:
Permission denied. *This has never happened before, and I was able to run
both successfully.

I wanted to ask in a private thread before asking it on @Sugar-dev Devel
<sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org>, incase anyone has encountered such a
issue before. I have tried establishing a sugar desktop, on both a bare
machine with just Ubuntu 18.04, as well as a VM (Oracle Virtualbox), and in
both the places, I've encountered the same issue.

Thanks,
- Swarup N