[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Separate python version packages for sugar-toolkit-gtk3

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jul 23 05:28:32 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 01:02:33PM +0530, sukhdeep gill wrote:
> Python packages:
> https://github.com/sukhdeepg/sugar-toolkit-gtk3-python-packages.
> This is the first step with respect to an earlier reply from James
> Cameron. I've understood the depth of the issue from this result
> after the Debian bug 931666 search. If this isn't the right way,
> please let me know.

Thanks.  Happy to review.  The main problem is that you did not
examine the packages, compare them with Debian packages, or test the
packages.

(a) your package version should include something to discriminate
against potential Debian packages yet to be provided by Debian
developers, or packages by other Sugar Labs developers,

(b) your package version should include the git hash; the file
src/sugar3/util.py has the latest HEAD of 5043d53, but the version of
your packages is 0.114-1,

(c) your package python-sugar3_0.114-1_all.deb includes a Python 3
program (sugar-activity3) and Python 2 artefacts in
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sugar3 ... but sugar-activity3 should
not be present, and this is a fault of our build in
sugar-toolkit-gtk3,

(d) your package python-sugar3_0.114~python3-1_all.deb includes a
Python 2 program (sugar-activity) and Python 2 artefacts in
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sugar3 ... but sugar-activity should
not be present (this is a fault of our build in sugar-toolkit-gtk3)
and the artefacts should be for Python 3 not Python 2,

(e) both packages are named python-sugar3 ... but they should have
different names (python-sugar3 and python3-sugar3), so they can be
installed at the same time.

Please do examine the packages and test them carefully before
publishing your work.  Test by installing the packages and running
Sugar and the set of Fructose (core) activities.

Hope that helps!

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/