[Sugar-devel] Suggestions for GSoC 2019

Amaan Iqbal amaaniqbal2786 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 09:14:28 EST 2019

Hello,

I see we only have 6 projects so far in our Ideas list in comparison to 11
which were selected in GSoC last year. Being a successful Open Source
organization, I sincerely hope we have the potential of having many more
projects in GSoC this year(most probably 15+ if we can come up with such
promising ideas).

Here I would suggest an idea for the renovation of our Website, blog
<http://planet.sugarlabs.org/>, and creation of a customized/integration of
existing CMS to our website from where admins can create articles directly.
Also some other web pages can also be added to this list if I am missing
something. The end product will be expected to have :

   - Material Designed
   - no/minimal redundancies in code
   - faster load time
   - Use of latest website standards
   - Wider reach in terms of accessibility
   - Faster and easier updates from the admins to the website
   - Elimination of device specific issues
   - Removal of most of the issues on www-sugarlabs
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/www-sugarlabs/issues>
   - Easy setup for a new contributor

After mentoring for few design tasks in GCI and collaborating with several
pull requests I found that the website was mostly constructed with many
components placed forcefully in their places including a search box in the
navbar, such that website looks somehow decent. But the design is not at
all generic and so as a result there use to be many small issues with looks
and behavior of components on different devices. Also, the website is not
updated to the latest web standards.

Further, publicity in the best way with appropriate accessibility
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Accessibility/HTML> of the
website is important for any organization and I sincerely hope this idea
has that potential.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion on this before sending a Pull
Request on the GSoC ideas list.

Regards,
Amaan