[Sugar-devel] Sync between GitHub and ASLO

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Jan 18 01:51:11 EST 2019

I disagree.  None of the automation proposed, or attempted in the
past, has solved our _human_ problem of not testing and tagging an
activity release.

It is a human problem which needs a non-technical solution;
attentiveness and willingness to act.

It also won't be solved by GSoC or GCI, because it never has been the
last few times we've tried that.  ;-)

It hasn't been solved by improving documentation.

It hasn't been solved by ASLOv3, as it is still under development, and
the developers have told me they do not plan to replicate the
functionality we have in ASLOv1, such as the Sugar version detection
feature, so we're stuck with ASLOv1 for a good while longer.  It seems
to keep working and is relatively easy to maintain.

Also, those of us with a need for more than what ASLOv1 provides have
deployed point solutions; Tony has his, and I have mine.  Mine are;

- separate software update reference list maintained at laptop.org to
  cover for when activities.sugarlabs.org is down,

- redundant copy of bundles maintained at download.laptop.org to cover
  for when download.sugarlabs.org is down,

- tools for rapidly releasing bundles to ASLOv1, such as by using
  'import requests'.

Hope that helps.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 08:15:22AM +0530, Rahul Bothra wrote:
> *
> A common issue across many activities is that changes are often not released to
> ASLO. This must be automated to ensure that the work of developers is reaching
> the users
>
> My suggestion is to have an automatic sync with GitHub and ASLO;
> When a new release tag is set on GitHub,
>  - the activity should be updated on ASLO with the latest changes.
>  - Issues opened in the repository can go the into known bugs section
>  - ReadMe can go into about the Activity section
>  - git history or release tag description can go into the new changes section
>
> New changes to the repository will have to be tested before setting a new
> release tag on GitHub
>
> I saw the ASLO bot is able to capture new tags from GitHub, but I'm not sure
> how to fix it

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/