[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Errors from Soas 29

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Jan 18 00:48:52 EST 2019

I've not recently tested the Sugar collaboration stack with Fedora, my
testing has been on Ubuntu.

But you're right on with the process to use; once they are able to
communicate over a common TCP/ip network that relays mDNS UDP
broadcast packets, an icon for each instance should appear in
Neighbourhood View.  Without that icon, the collaboration features
won't work.

When that icon does not appear, my checklist is;

- look for interesting log messages, especially in shell.log,

- make sure there are no alternate network paths, such as ethernet
  adapters,

- ping between two instance IP addresses to verify the network is
  working,

- tcpdump to look for mDNS and clique packets on two instances, making
  sure what is sent by one instance is also received by the other,

- use the Chat, Maze, or CollabWrapper test activities, as these have
  the most robust code for Telepathy use.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 09:51:28AM +0100, Samson Goddy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ibiam and I are currently working to install Sugar in the classroom, so we
> decided to download Soas 32-bit versions. After installing, we ran into some
> problems immediately after the desktop booted which can be found here[1]. I
> also noticed whenever I click on the speaker icon, the bottom of the frame
> becomes darker. I tested collaboration using Jabber service, Ibiam couldn't
> find the desktop on the neighborhood but the desktop can alongside.
>
>   Quick question? what are the best ways to make sugar to talk to each other?
> Those desktop are using mini USB wifi adaptors(working on windows) but not
> Soas. I will be testing on more systems by Wednesday.
>
> Logs[2]
>
> [1][1]https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick#Known_bugs
> [2][2]https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/4QIR-XATy2wmnZb2VbNn3A
>
> --