[Sugar-devel] Port Sugar and core activities to Python 3 GSoC 2019

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Feb 26 21:16:24 EST 2019

Someone wrote:
> [...] I am interested in "Port Sugar and core activities to Python
> 3" project and would like to work as a GSoC student developer with
> Sugar Labs.
>
> I am well experienced in python, though I am novice to porting but I
> am interested in learning, I thought it would be better to
> contribute before applying which would give some credibility. Please
> let me know how to get started and work on this projects where can
> I learn about this.

Yes.

privately for questions that are of general interest.  Make sure you
are subscribed.

You might do these things;

- read the community documentation, especially code of conduct,
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs

- read the Sugar source code and documentation,
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/tree/master/docs

- read the Sugar Toolkit source code and documentation,
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3

- read the Port to Python 3 project plan,
  https://github.com/orgs/sugarlabs/projects/1

- read the critical issues in the plan and the individual issue plans,

- prepare a native development environment suitable for testing Sugar
  and all dependencies,

- review pull requests and existing branches for the Port to Python 3,

- test Sugar, and report problems with Sugar,

- prepare Fedora and Ubuntu packages for Sugar components,
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/debian-packaging-example.md

- fix problems, making pull requests and working through code review
  to get the pull requests merged,
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/contributing.md#making-commits
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/contributing.md#sending-a-pull-request

- review new pull requests by other developers.
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/contributing.md#guide-for-reviewers

List is incomplete.  Good luck!

--
James Cameron