[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Create an adapter that calls the third parties/libraries for better maintainability.

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Fri Feb 15 21:31:08 EST 2019

Alejandro García

Generally, I believe you first need to know how to do something several
times before deciding to automate. In that case, the question is whether
the automation will be used enough to justify the implementation time
and effort and whether the automation will make the process enough
faster and easier to be worthwhile. Being inherently lazy, I love the
idea of software which makes my life easier. However, most often I have
spent more time implementing the solution than it would have cost to do
the job directly.

Would you be willing to spend some time working on some of these
critical problems directly? You are pointing to serious issues which at
the moment are not being handled by Sugar_Devel. The following is a list
off the top of my head of open issues. Some of these can be handled
directly and simply. Others such as the activity.info issue may take
some development effort.

Collaboration is considered an important capability for an activity. How
many activities now support collaboration. How many use Collabwrapper?
How many of these are suitable for porting to Colllabwrapper?

How many activities in ASLO are based on pygames. As I understand it,
upgrade to gtk3 depends on using pygames with olpcgames. This is
currently done with only one activity (Simulate Activity). How many
activities depend on pygames? What is required to use olpcgames with
pygames? Is a special gtk3 compatible version of pygames required?

How many activities in ASLO are not yet ported to GTK3? In general any
activity in ASLO which does not have a github repository. However, there
are activities in github which have not been converted (and some
attempted conversions).

The sound in Block Party is not working because of an incorrect use of
C-Sound. Are there any other activities affected? What is required to
fix the problem?

The Bridge activity fails because of its use of Box2D. How many
activities depend on Box2D? What is the required version of Box2D and
what is required to interface to it?

There are some activities which depend on Java runtime. The Java-1
activity is intended as a 'shim' but is not capable. How should Java be
installed as a possibly optional sugar tool so that it can be used by
any activity that needs it?

There are activities that still use deprecated parameter names in
activity.info. The solution is to put a warning in the log outpu of that
activity. How hare would it be to prepare a script that fixed the
property names in all activities in ASLO? This one involves small
changes to many activities so some means acceptable to James Cameron
will be needed to make these changes to the activities in ASLO (and in
gitHub). Putting the changes in the form of a Pull Request by script may
be prohibitive.

There are activities that still use hulahop although that has been gone
since 0.98. Which activiteis have this problem and is there a common way
to upgrade to WebKit? (Note: this means these activities have not been
available to our users for years!).

There are activities which fail because of a dependency on vte. How many
and what is the issue that causes them to fail?

As always, the first step in solving a problem is to identify it.
Solution space should be avoided until this is done. I don't have enough
information to believe that development of a general software tool is
the most effective way forward.

One exception may be to develop an automated means to test the suite of
activities in a specific execution environment. From what I have seen,
what might be practical is a Bash or Python script which downloads via
Browse each activity in turn, executes it, and determines whether the
activity started or failed to start, and then erases it. In many cases,
regression with new releases results from changes in the dependencies.
Often they cause the activity to fail to start.
Detecting this outcome may be facilitated by a change to Sugar which
causes a specific signal when an activity fails to start that the script
can use. A more complicated step may be to mine the logs to report the
problem encountered. This is of lower priority since the number of
failed activities should be small and consulting the logs is not difficult.

There is a lot of work to be done and much of it of immediate, direct
and significant value to our user community.

Tony