[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Create an adapter that calls the third parties/libraries for better maintainability.

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 19:55:24 EST 2019

We do that to some extent -- for example, there is an "adapter" for
collaboration and at one point we discussed doing the same with other
"adapters" I use in the bulk of the activities I wrote -- abstractions of
the various GTK classes. But it never go that much traction from the rest
of the dev community.

regards.

-walter

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 7:19 PM Alejandro GarcĂ­a <tonadevv at gmail.com> wrote:

> ***************
> TLDR; Why not creating an adapter that calls the libraries/third parties
> that we use creating activities (like GTK, WebKit, etc) and in the
> activities we only call the adapter? For more information read below.
> ***************
> Hi,
> I was a participant at GCI 2018, I worked mostly porting to GTK3, WebKit2,
> and TelepathyGLib.
>
> Time ago I read the book "Clean Code - Robert C. Martin", there he (Uncle
> Bob) talked a little about using Adapters (what I mean for adapters are
> files with methods and classes that call the libraries for us. And we
> instead call the adapter instead of the library/third party) when using
> third parties. That way you can use the third party in all the app, but if
> there is an update in the third party you only need to change one place
> (the adapter).
>
> After reading that, I thought how easy could it be if there were an
> adapter for Gtk, WebKit, and TelepathyGLib instead of changing all the
> instances of them in each Activity.
>
> Basically that's the proposal. Why not creating an Adapter for the
> libraries that are used in mostly all the activities like GTK and start
> using it from all the sugar activities.
>
> Advantage:
> - The maintainability of the projects could be easier, as you only need to
> change one place in case that the library gets an update (probably useful
> in case of porting to GTK4 in a future, I think its release is going to be
> at the end of this year).
> - Developing new activities could be easier too, learning GTK (or any
> other library) won't be necessary at all.
>
> Probably there are more advantages that I'm ignoring.
>
> Disadvantages:
> - Creating this adapter will require time and people, and this can sound
> like reinventing the wheel. But the dependency to the libraries/third
> party, will be reduced.
>
> Again there might be more disadvantages that I'm ignoring.
>
> I think that's all. If you have something to say, don't doubt to do it. I
> want to know what you think.
>
> This is the first proposal that I do to an organization. If there is a
> template that I didn't follow or the Feature tag is incorrect, please tell
> me and I can rewrite this mail.

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org