[Sugar-devel] [HELP] Writing activity that requires api key

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Dec 18 15:25:19 EST 2019

Once upon a time this made it difficult.  It was discouraged.  It
looked very different.  It behaved different.  It cost extra resources
on a tiny laptop to ensure each different graphics API was present in
memory and on disk.  So we decided on GTK only, because that's what
Sugar home view uses.

However, computers are larger, and a tkinter module is part of Python,
so if you have working code using tkinter inside the sugar3 wrapper,
with a toolbar and stop button that works, then I would accept it on
the basis that;

- people who want to use the activity in a school will make sure
  tkinter is also installed,

- somebody may later port to GTK.

Please mention tkinter as a dependency in the README.md file (see
README.md in the Record activity as an example), and maybe add
requirements.txt as used by PyPi if you have any additional modules
needed.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/